As the application of solar power systems increases in homes and commercial buildings, more and more people want to learn about the workings of solar batteries. Whether you are considering installing a solar power system in your home or place of business, this guide should make it easier for you to understand how the battery storage system works.
Basic Functioning of a Solar Battery Storage System
At the most basic level, a solar battery energy storage system works by storing excess solar power from your PV system to be used during nighttime. The storage system can supply power to your building even in times of power outages besides reducing your reliance on grid supply.
It is important for you to understand the basic steps involved in the working of a solar panel system:
- Solar panels produce electrical power from the sun
- The direct current (DC) produced will flow through the inverter and gets converted into alternating current (AC)
- This alternating current (AC) will power the appliances in your home or office
- The additional electrical power that is not used will charge the batteries
- The stored energy in the battery will then power your appliances when the sun goes down
Off-Grid Vs Partial Power
Your electrical system can pull electricity from either the grid or your battery. In this configuration, you are connected to the grid and can still operate off-grid. The solar plus storage is paired and will help create a power island at your building. If there is a power outage, you will still be able to use the lights in your home or office.
There are two scenarios about backup power:
- When you have a solar power system without battery storage, there will be no power when there is a power outage. The solar panel system will be shut down during a power outage so that no electrical current is sent to the transmission lines when utility workers are trying to fix the cause. This measure is taken as a safety measure.
- Usually, these batteries are designed for providing backup power for part of the building’s electricity needs. A smart electrical panel can be installed with battery storage to control the parts that need to be powered. A battery array system can also be created to build adequate storage capacity to power more electrical systems in your building.
With the latest battery energy storage systems, it is possible to create a whole-home backup. Modern systems also provide a more cost-effective solution than ever before.
Battery Storage Types
When determining the right battery storage system for your solar power system, you should further know about the types of storage batteries. The two different options include:
AC Coupled Battery Storage
AC coupled storage systems are designed to store energy from both the grid and the solar generation. Some features of this system are as follows:
- Offer off-grid power supply in times of power outages
- Relatively costlier systems
- Allow you to draw energy from other sources
DC Coupled Battery Storage
DC coupled battery storage systems are considered among the most cost-effective ones currently available. The batteries go between the solar panels and inverters and they store DC power that comes directly from the panels.
Now that you know the basics of solar battery storage systems and the types of options available, it will become easier for you to make the right decision.